A few interesting links from recent days…
- Vin Suprynowicz explains his modest proposal to eliminate the National Debt and keep the government from excessive (well, actually “any”) borrowing in the future: default.
- Humorist P.J. O’Rourke offers another modest proposal – this one for improving American education.
- Last week, I presented a post characterizing terrorists as nitwits. New York’s Police Commissioner disagrees.
- Are engineers more prone to terror? That’s the conclusion of a University of Oxford study: “Engineers of Jihad.” The study argues that engineers are disproportionately represented among the ranks of terrorists. Hat tip: Maggie Koerth-Baker at BoingBoing. See also coverage in Slate.
- Yesterday the House Judiciary Committee held a hearing on the extent to which the government may spy on cell phone users. Over 10,000 federal orders are filed for electronic surveillance, virtually none of which are ever disclosed.
- A ban on knives in the workplace almost killed Transocean’s employees who were unable to cut the rope securing their life raft to the burning Deepwater Horizon oil rig.