Here are a few RTLS and wireless updates:
- UWB RTLS vendor Ubisense raised £5M to fund expansion. And 50 Ubisense tags are available on eBay with a starting bid of $9.99.
- Another UWB RTLS vendor, decaWave, was honored for “best technology development” at a tradeshow.
- It’s Nearly Time for Near-Field Communication according to Mark Roberti at RFID Journal.
- Should cell phone jammers be mandatory inside cars? Adam Thierer at The Technology Liberation Front thinks not: Mandatory Cell Phone Jammers in Cars: Unwise, Unsafe, Unneeded.
- Here’s an old but interesting piece I found on “televisionary” Philo T. Farnsworth, though I disagree with the author’s contention that big technologies require big companies for successful development. On that subject, here’s an excerpt from Tim Wu on how AT&T suppressed technology that might upset its business model. Wu wrote The Master Switch: The Rise and Fall of Information Empires (Borzoi Books), a book I’m going to have to review soon.